Ippodo Tea (Kyoto Since 1717) Ummon – Rich Matcha (40g Can)
- A flagship premium Ippodo matcha: Ummon is powerful, complex, and satisfying. Recommended for matcha fans.
- Kyoto Since 1717- Ippodo Tea has been run by the same family in Kyoto for over three centuries.
- Grown, processed, blended, and packaged entirely in Japan.
- 40-gram size: around 20 standard servings of matcha
- Recommendations: regular matcha (usucha) and thick matcha (koicha) drinks. Make with just water to experience Ummon’s full nuances.
Rich & Robust
Try Ummon if you enjoy premium matcha with a powerful character. Ummon has been a popular high-class matcha in Ippodo Tea’s offering for decades.
Character: robust and powerful umami, complexity, and energetic fragrance. Light, pleasant astringency adds nuance to its impact.
- When preparing your matcha, sift the dry powder right before adding water. Sifted matcha is easier to whisk fully in a short time.
- Whisk for seconds, not minutes. Whisking for very long can produce a bitter taste.
- Nothing beats the chasen. The classic bamboo whisk (chasen) made for whisking matcha has many fine tips. This allows you to whisk up fragrant and well-mixed matcha drinks.
- Sip and relax. Matcha tea is essentially tiny tea leaves mixed with water, so enjoy it before the leaves separate from the water.
- Find your favorite taste: Experiment when making matcha by trying different ratios of water to matcha and water temperatures.
- Temperature and flavor: Scalding hot water produces fragrance and sharpness. Cold water produces a misty, rich character with low foam. Comfortably hot water makes a balanced character.
- Make it a latte: Add your favorite milk to matcha whisked with water. Adjust the ratios and experiment to find your favorite taste.